JYJ's Jaejoong “My world is small, but I live freely & Happily within it” Part.1

         
JYJ’s Kim Jaejoong and Kim Bada (formally) from Sinawe. An unexpected pairing yet there is no awkwardness between the two. Kim Jaejoong released his first solo album “I” which was co-produced by Kim Bada as well as Shaun of The KOXX.

 It is the result of an equal blend of things that he likes, things that he is good at and things that suit him. With various labels such as a member of JYJ and rookie actor, he probably feels the burden of these titles. However, as he releases his first solo album, his top consideration was simply wanting to try to do it because he liked it, and wanting to try to do it (for his fans) because they liked it. Kim Jaejoong, whom we met for a round interview on 21 January, spoke frankly about singing rock without “the pressure of it being something (he has) liked since (he was) young”, and about his feelings of wanting to “fulfill the wishes” of the people who have supported him all this while.

- You chose songs from the rock genre in your first album.


Jaejoong said: I’ve been singing rock songs a lot since I was young because I like it. Even during our group activities, I would always cover Korean rock songs for my solo stages during our concerts, and a solo single I released in Japan was also a rock single. Although there were many opportunities for me to showcase little bits of rock through that way, I didn’t expect that we would go with rock when I ended up making my own album. I just had a lot of thoughts of wanting to try doing it. Fortunately, many outstanding people such as Kim Ba Da welcomed and helped me, so we were able to produce a good album.

- It seems you were a little worried about doing rock.

Jaejoong said: Because it’s not I have done rock from the start, there was the pressure regarding (people’s) prejudices and preconceptions. But I am relieved that everyone looked at it with a very open mind. Rather, the thought of having make rock fans or the general public go, “Oh, it’s a good song” when they hear my song was very helpful.

“This Album Itself Is My Message”

       Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

- Since it’s your first solo album, you would definitely have a lot of things you want to show people, but what is the thing you focused the most on?

Jaejoong said: I think this album in itself is my message. Because it holds the stories I want to share through a genre that I have liked since I was young. “One Kiss” is a metaphorically expressed love story, “Mine” bluntly expresses the message of the experience of difficult times, and the courage and (the want) to sprint forward that comes at the end of it. “Comfort For Myself” talks about things that may happen to anyone in love, and “All Alone” is and expression of emotions. I wanted to express my thoughts through different ways like this. I think that people who have bought and listened the album would notice that each song has a different voice and way of expression. My voice can be customised (laughs). I think that vocal trainers who believe it is best to sing without embellish your voice will really dislike my type. But it is my wish to sing using a voice that is required by that song. I hope everyone will be able to listen and feel the difference for yourself. I also hope that the lyrics will be able to touch the heart of the listener.

- Beginning with Kim Bada, who composed “One Kiss” and “Mine”, The KOXX’s Shaun and Pia’s Hullang also participated (in the production).

Jaejoong said: I didn’t know Kim Bada and the musicians who did the band sessions personally. I met them by chance through a friend, and we’re now good acquaintances. In the beginning, I asked Kim Bada if he could please write one good song for me. I thought he might not be willing to, but he really wrote it for me. The first song he wrote for me was “One Kiss”, but once I knew I wanted to sing it. From what I know, Kim Bada has never written a song for someone as young as me, and who is doing rock for the first time. But he was really active in helping me.

- What kind of advice did Kim Bada give you during the recording?

Jaejoong said: It was very different when we were working on “One Kiss” and “Mine”. For “One Kiss”, he helped me grasp each of the vocal tones. The vocalisation was different from when singing regular pop songs, there was vocalisation, techniques and expressiveness required for rock songs. He taught me all of those so I learnt a lot while working on it. On the other hand, for “Mine”, he left me to do the things I wanted, the way I wanted to. This is why for “One Kiss” there was a little more weight and a more solid image, whereas there was more change in my voice for “Mine”. When I told him that I wanted there to be more change, going between Bel Canto (T/N: “beautiful singing”) and a huskier voice, he very readily agreed that it would be good. Hence, recordings went without interruptions and it flowed like that of a live performance.

- It seems difficult to learn such techniques in a short span of time.

Jaejoong said: I kept practicing my vocalisation inside the recording booth. It was hard because Kim Bada wanted a vocalisation with a lot of “scratch” to be shouted/screamed out, but I couldn’t make my voice come out in that way. It felt like during my rookie days when I met a really scary composer while recording my first song. Actually senior (Kim Ba Da) did not come off as scary at the start. He really tried to make me feel comfortable, and perhaps because I’ve always seen him on MBC’s “I Am A Singer”, he seemed like someone I had met a lot. But after that when I met him in the studio he was a little scary. I didn’t know he had so many tattoos on his body (laughs). However, even though the recording process was difficult, when listening to it after we were done recording, everything was resolved since the result was good.


[will continued to Part.2 + Source  K Style News & Shared by : dongbangdata.net] 

Popular Posts